Now that it is officially November, the weather has cooled down and the cold is here to stay! Cold days are perfect for a big warm bowl of chili and this turkey and white bean chili is not only delicious, it can be a complete meal if you add on a side and/or some toppings. I love this recipe because you can make this in the slow cooker, or throw it on the stove and let it simmer for a few hours. It is also so easy and versatile! You can switch out the turkey for beef or whatever you prefer – you can even omit the meat and make this a meatless dish.
Three Bean Chili
1 yellow onion
4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
1 pound ground turkey or chicken or beef
3 colored peppers (red/yellow/orange), seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
1 can (28 ounce) crusted tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
4 ounces tomato paste
1 can white beans, drained
1 can pinto beans, drained
1 can kidney beans
cheddar cheese, avocado, green onions, and cilantro for serving
Season with salt and pepper (to taste)
– In a skillet, heat olive oil to medium heat. Add peppers, garlic, onion and spices until sautéed together
– In a separate skillet cook ground turkey. Add cooked ground turkey to skill mixture with vegetables and spices
– Add tomato paste, tomato sauce, chicken broth, water, crushed tomatoes and beans to slow cooker
– Add in meat and vegetable mixture
– Cook on high for 4 hours
– Optional toppings: sour cream, chopped scallions, diced jalapenos, avocado slices, cheddar cheese, tortilla chips, or crackers
I would recommend serving this up with tortilla chips or a slice of cornbread. This chili will warm you up. Perfect for a fall get together or a game day meal!
And as always…happy eating and happy fall!!
Contributed by Sarah Hines, Oakwood University Dietetic Intern
Questions, comments, concerns please contact me here!